Re: Adobe Reader 10

From: Matt Ivie
Subject: Re: Adobe Reader 10
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 16:57:01 -0700

On Wed, 2021-03-17 at 14:42 -0500, J Leslie Turriff wrote:
> On 2021-03-17 12:20:34 quiliro wrote:
> > You can also search the FSF free software directory at:
> > https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Category/Works-with-format/pdf
> > I am not sure if that is the best category.  But I guess you can
> > explore
> > and ask here, if you have any further trouble.
>       Or maybe works with XFA (if such category exists)?

I'm pasting some text from the Wikipedia article on the status of XFA.
It looks like it may be something the is mostly Adobe centric. I'd urge
your government to do something, or offer something that does not
require XFA.

Here is the excerpt:

The XML Forms Architecture specification is not included in the PDF 1.7
standard (ISO 32000-1:2008) and it is only referenced as an external
proprietary specification created and published by Adobe. However, the
ISO 32000-1 references XFA as normative and indispensable for the
application of the ISO 32000-1 specification. XFA was not standardized
as an ISO standard.

Since 2007, development of PDF standard has been conducted by ISO's
Technical Committee 171/Subcommittee 2/Working Group 8 (TC 171/SC 2/WG
8).

In 2011 the ISO Committee urged Adobe Systems to submit the XFA
Specification, XML Forms Architecture (XFA), to ISO for
standardization, and requested that Adobe Systems stabilize the XFA
specification. The Committee expressed its concerns about the stability
of the XFA specification.[16]

In 2017 the ISO Committee deprecated XFA from PDF 2.0

--
"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family."
        --Bruce Lee