Support RMS (adjacent)

From: Jim
Subject: Support RMS (adjacent)
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 11:18:29 -0400

(Not including this in the existing thread because it's not really a response to anyone in particular.)

I just want to point out that additional changes are afoot in case you haven't noticed:

https://www.fsf.org/news/preliminary-board-statement-on-fsf-governance

https://www.fsf.org/news/update-on-work-to-improve-governance-at-the-fsf

It appears that the FSF is revamping how board members are selected, and this will include a mechanism for members to have a voice (a vote?), and also to give staff members a seat. Therefore: polish your arguments, because at some point we will have a discussion in some forum which will directly impact on the FSF's direction.

This addresses a lurking question:  how are board members determined anyway?  We wake up one morning and RMS is out.  Hm? (Okay, technically he resigned, but really....)  Another morning we wake up and RMS is in.  Hm?  How does this work anyway?

Another comment:  until his departure in 2019, RMS essentially embodied the FSF.  "Le FSF, c'est moi."  With transparent governance and accountable leaders, there would be a place for RMS at the FSF without returning to that situation. For full disclosure, I'll state my opinion that RMS has given a lifetime of public-spirited and generous service, yet at this particular moment I think it would not advance the movement to have him as the public face and spokesperson for the FSF, or to be unaccountable within the organization.

-Jim Garrett