Re: Blog licenses must be diverse - was Re: GFDL license help

From: Ali Reza Hayati
Subject: Re: Blog licenses must be diverse - was Re: GFDL license help
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 00:57:28 +0430

Thank you Jean, I guess you're right. I'll do this. Thanks.

On 10/04/2021 00:14, Jean Louis wrote:
* Ali Reza Hayati <arh@gnu.org> [2021-04-09 21:20]:
Hello guys.

Can anybody help me with choosing a license for a blog other than Creative
Commons? I want to use GNU FDL 1.3 but I'm not sure if that's fine for
audio/video too. Can we use GFDL for audio and video too? If not, what
copyleft license do you suggest to use, other than Creative Commons
ones?

Choosing a general license for one whole blog is not best idea, as you
may host on your blog diverse pieces and types of text and media, each
of them being licensed differently.

- software, each software may have some different license, even if
   software is as a listing there.

- instructions, such could be published under the GFDL, as people may
   be free to adopt, modify it; be it text, video, media, or
   presentation;

- you could host images, or media with different licenses, so you have
   to consider those, for each thing specific license; you may even
   post copyrighted images, as there are various liberties, for example
   for purposes of commenting, scientific purposes, educational
   purposes, etc.

- you can host opinions, so if it is about opinions, then you could
   use something like following:

Verbatim Copying and Distribution

Copyright © 2021 by AUTHOR.

Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article are permitted
worldwide, without royalty, in any medium, provided the copyright
notice, the document’s official hyperlink and this permission notice
are preserved. It is not required to retain page headings and footers
or other formatting features. Retention of weblinks in both
hyperlinked and non-hyperlinked media (as notes or some other form of
printed URL in non-HTML media) is required.

Or for opinions, you would use: Creative Commons
Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License as on:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/4.0/ and see example here:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

This is because opinions should not be modified, and you should
protect yourself.

Imagine following short statement, expanded into whole article:

"Ali Reza has opinion that we shall build free culture."

Now comes the website visitor, sees the GFDL, and thus modifies the
article to the meaning of:

"Ali Reza proposes proprietary software on all home and office
desktops."

That would make no sense. Opinions are personal and shall be respected as
such.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://rms-support-letter.github.io/

--
Ali Reza Hayati (https://alirezahayati.com)
Libre culture activist and privacy advocate