Re: Support RMS

From: Deb Nicholson
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 11:36:08 -0400

   Corporations are not behind the call for RMS to be accountable.
   Thousands of individual people, including many former employees and
   free software collaborators, have called for him to step aside. It
   actually serves the opponents of free software quite well to have
   someone who pushes people away and facilitates a hostile environment,
   be in charge of the FSF.
   Also, RMS is not the free software movement. It's dangerous to conflate
   an individual with a movement. To say that the "free software movement
   is being attacked" when what's actually happening is that a bunch of
   individuals are calling for one person to take responsibility for their
   behavior is a sloppy generalization.
   It's disappointing that so many people have chosen to disbelieve former
   FSF employees, hundreds of women who have encountered RMS at
   conferences or MIT and many, many free software creators. The vast
   majority of the people who signed the letter asking for RMS to step
   down, care deeply about free software. I wish more of you would try to
   consider that.
   Best,
   Deb

   On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 11:23 AM Danny Spitzberg
   <[1]stationaery@gmail.com> wrote:

        On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 6:36 PM Adrienne G. Thompson
        <[1][2]adriennegayethompson@gmail.com> wrote:
        > The intent to destroy the Free Software Movement for the
     purposes of
        procuring financial advantage might even be criminal and should
     be
        investigated
        This sounds like a big claim. What's the evidence?
        It's not a "claim". We already know that corporations are behind
     the
        attack. I explicitly proposed investigation. I'm sure you know
     the
        meaning of "investigate". Here's one definition from
     [2][3]dictionary.com:
        "Investigations are usually formal and official. The word ... is
     used
        in many other contexts to refer to the process
        of [3]investigating—systematically finding and examining
     [4]evidence."
        It's a claim in the legal sense; any lawsuit you might bring
     would
        bring a "claim" and seek adjudication.
        If you know it as a fact and have evidence that corporations (and
     if
        memory serves, certain government agencies) are behind the
     attacks on
        our pure and flawless hero, you should add it to
        [5][4]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman for the
     benefit of
        all.
        Adrienne