Re: Support RMS

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 14:06:27 -0700

   > Jean, I mention the bare feet to suggest that my recollection of the
   story is accurate, and the point about smell was to add specificity to
   how close I was sitting. You assume too much.

   Nonsense.

   -t

   On 2021-04-15 23:48, Danny Spitzberg wrote:

   On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 11:24 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

     * Danny Spitzberg <[1]stationaery@gmail.com> [2021-04-16 08:21]:
     > On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 10:04 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
     wrote:

     > > * Danny Spitzberg <[2]stationaery@gmail.com> [2021-04-16 07:44]:
     > > > Unfortunately, but unsurprisingly, the recording of the talk
     cuts off
     > > > before RMS started yelling angrily.
     >
     > I don't know where it is. Sorry, Jean! I can tell you RMS was
     sitting in
     > the back-left of room 123 of the MIT Stata Center, wearing a green
     collard
     > shirt, black pants, and no shoes or sandals or socks (I was not
     close
     > enough to smell his feet, however). I hope you'll believe me all
     the
     > same.
     You bring up some ha ha cultural differences, but some people are
     more
     free and some not.

   Jean, I mention the bare feet to suggest that my recollection of the
   story is accurate, and the point about smell was to add specificity to
   how close I was sitting. You assume too much.

     Would he be Muslim in some kind of a Muslim dress,
     would you value him for the merits or how he looks like...
     I am grown up in a place where we like to be comfortable, so in the
     bus, I will often take my shoes off to be comfortable, but even if
     it
     does not smell somebody will not like it.
     Yesterday I was in park as in my role as investor and I am sitting
     on
     ground with a lovely student just as I would be doing it with 14
     years old, but somebody may not find it appropriate.
     I think those cultural things should not be subject of anything
     called
     "Planet" as if you truly want a planet, accept people how they are,
     and look for their merits, not personal choice of having sandals or
     not.
     Currently being located in Easter Africa, I can see many people
     walking barefoot, including in the rain, I see nice woman of about
     22-25 walking barefoot on mud, I would do the same to join her.
     Before
     few days receptionist brings me food to my lodge room and I receive
     him naked and he does not mind.
     Further, that somebody does not have sandals and is sitting behind
     is
     nothing that may be compared to what you say unwelcoming.
     What would be unwelcoming is when RMS would have no sandals and
     would
     be demanding that everybody entering the room should have no
     sandals.
     You see, me personally, not being same as you, I would not mind when
     people don't wear sandals, as I am planetary citizen, and I believe
     you can be the same. There are larger rooms and public spaces here
     in
     Uganda where you need to put your shoes outside before entering to
     keep the space cleaner, I do not say it is really objectively
     cleaner,
     but I am giving you example of planetary differences in human
     interactions or intermixed behavior.
     Your personal impression does not yet not even closely justify
     ability
     of RMS to speak for FSF, neither justify public shamings.
     What I would suggest to you Deb is to start traveling and learn what
     our planet really is.

   I've traveled extensively, thank you. It has indeed been revealing. I
   especially appreciate visiting with people who are kind and capable
   leaders, who practice nonviolence and take a cooperative approach.
   Also, it's nice when people take a stance against free software being
   used by armed forces and militaries... but that's another topic.

     --
     Jean
     [3]https://www.fsf.org/campaigns