RE: Blind user complaining on Adobe web site

From: Arthur Torrey
Subject: RE: Blind user complaining on Adobe web site
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 22:20:42 -0400 (EDT)

(yeah! something other than flagellating RMS's deceased equine....)

I sort of agree, but at the same time, it appears to me that the FLOSS software
world is far less 'disability friendly' than the fruit company or the other big
name OS....  My S.O has just become legally blind due to medical issues, and
while I've been looking at what might be available in the way of low-vision
setups, I've been rather underwhelmed...

It seems every resource person she has heard from is pointing at the fruit
company products as being most 'low vision friendly'.  As a paraplegic I have
minimal (no) need for accessibility stuff on my computers, but when I look at
what the quads I know who need more adaptive setups are also using fruit
machines almost entirely.

I'm not a programmer of anything more complex than an Arduino, so not a lot I
can do to fix things personally.

It seems like a lot of the lower level of accessibility in GNU/Linux seems to
be a combination of a (somewhat understandable) lack of 'itch that needs
scratching' among mostly able bodied developers, and the wide range of
interfaces / API's / not sure what to call them that exist in the FLOSS world.
While usually this diversity is a strength, IMHO it is a problem when trying to
come up w/ a consistent UI that works w/ every application.  OTOH the fruit
co's "One Way to Do Things" seems to make it easier to design an accessible UI
that works w/ everything, and then focus on making it better....  I don't know
what the solution is, I just wish there was one.

ex-Gooserider

Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>