Re: Is GitHub Copilot violates free software licenses?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Is GitHub Copilot violates free software licenses?
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 10:09:01 +0300

* Kesara Rathnayake <kesara@fq.nz> [2021-07-01 06:09]:
>    Hi all,
>    GitHub recently released a service called Github Copilot
>    ([1]https://copilot.github.com/) that suggests code lines and functions
>    to programmers.
>    This has been trained on publicly available code.
>    I think any code that copilot generates  could be violating many free
>    software licenses, as it derived code from free software projects.
>    There are discussions about this in
>    twitter: [2]https://twitter.com/eevee/status/1410037309848752128
>    hackernews: [3]https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27687450

Today's problem in general is that quite number of people don't read
licenses and license requirements and conduct themselves as licenses
would not even exist by saying "software is free". They place software
on Github and other places without respecting licenses and even try
mixing one software with 3 incompatible licenses and additional
incompatible restrictions. Like the AVideo platform.

The Github Co-Pilot suggests free software lines straight in user's
editor.

Number one danger of Copilot is the total lack of privacy provided by
PRISM member company Microsoft: