Re: Is GitHub Copilot violates free software licenses?

From: Danny Spitzberg
Subject: Re: Is GitHub Copilot violates free software licenses?
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 08:58:57 -0700

   Leslie gets it

   On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 8:57 AM J Leslie Turriff <[1]jlturriff@mail.com>
   wrote:

     On 2021-07-07 14:04:02 Jean Louis wrote:
     > * alimiracle <[2]alimiracle@riseup.net> [2021-07-07 21:35]:
     > > its doesn't give you the same code.
     >
     > That for sure.
     >
     > > its rearrangement codes and integrate them, and then gives you
     the
     > > result
     >
     > Yes, and that may be useful.
     >
     > > This thing make a lot of problems.
     >
     > Main problem is abuse of free software licenses.
     >
     > > - Makes programmers not creative
     >
     > I would not tell that too early. You know the libraries that exist
     in
     > every programming language? They are often used and re-used, for
     > example Python libraries, Node.js libraries, Haskell libraries, Go
     > libraries, there are so many. One could say that libraries make
     > programmers not creative as they are ready available.
     >
     > In fact, I like programming without using external libraries. But
     > often it is useless to like it that way, libraries are available
     and
     > trying to re-write something is reinventing the wheel, so I end up
     > using external libraries.
     >
     > Libraries are often so much bigger than programming snippets that
     the
     > free software license abusive AI tool we speak about will provide.
     >
     > Do libraries make programmers not creative? I don't think it is so
     > generally. But in relation to the library they definitely make
     > programmer not think about whatever library is providing. In that
     > context programmer will stop creating because library is already
     > there.
     >
     > With AI snippets is about similar.
     >
     > > Produces a generation of lazy programmers
     > > - Produces a generation of lazy programmers
     > > - Since the app collects codes and rearrange it ..........
     >
     > This may be said also for libraries. It is not useful to go
     analysing
     > it like that. One could say that because GUI exists for specific
     > programing language, that such GUI makes programmers lazy.
     >
     > But programmers are lazy!
     >
     > [3]https://html.duckduckgo.com/html/?q=programmers+are+lazu
     >
     > [4]https://www.sarcasm.com/programmers-are-lazy/
     >
     > [5]http://threevirtues.com/
     >
     > According to Larry Wall(1), the original author of the Perl
     programming
     > language, there are three great virtues of a programmer; Laziness,
     > Impatience and Hubris
     >
     >     Laziness: The quality that makes you go to great effort to
     reduce
     >     overall energy expenditure. It makes you write labor-saving
     >     programs that other people will find useful and document what
     you
     >     wrote so you don't have to answer so many questions about it.
     >
     >     Impatience: The anger you feel when the computer is being
     >     lazy. This makes you write programs that don't just react to
     your
     >     needs, but actually anticipate them. Or at least pretend to.
     >
     >     Hubris: The quality that makes you write (and maintain)
     programs
     >     that other people won't want to say bad things about.
     >
     > > It means the app repeating other people's code mistakes.
     >
     > It can be, it is up to programmer to make it right.
             In the commercial programming environment, what you're
     calling laziness is a necessity of
     the drive by management to produce product as quickly as possible.
     (I spent thirty years
     in that environment.)  Stealing code from one program for another,
     or gutting a program
     to create a different one is the normal way of life in that
     environment.  Of course,
     those programs were all property of the company, so there was no
     issue of IP theft.
             The real drawback of using libraries is that one doesn't
     have time to look at how the
     services that a library provides work, how reliable and safe the
     library code is.
             In contrast, the snippets that this other service provides
     are likely small enough for
     the programmer to be able to analyze, and as a side-effect they
     further the programmer's
     knowledge of programming.
     Leslie