Re: Were Intellectual Property to be abolished altogether, would you or

From: Julian Daich
Subject: Re: Were Intellectual Property to be abolished altogether, would you or FSF support it?
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 22:44:21 +0300

El 11/7/21 a las 2:44, Yasuaki Kudo escribió:
> This is a thought experiment:
>
> Would you or FSF support the idea of abolishing the concept of intellectual
> property altogether, making any form of 'Software Licensing', including GPL,
> null and void.  Gone also will be any form of Patents and Copyrights.

Hi Yasu,

The FSF backs the GPL and the GPL is based on the use of author rights,
copyrights, patents and tradenarks.

Author rights, copyrights, patents and trademarks are not necessarily
rights as many of these words may suggest, but alternatives to the
secrecy that can help those who create new things or bring new knowledge
from those who accumulate power trough resource allocation or rhetoric.

The problem is that most of these legal entities can they threaten
freedom to users/ developers and be easily converted in assets giving
more power to those who control resource allocation instead to the who
bring new knowledge. The GPL, at least for software, can revert both
problems and still being a good alternative to secrecy. The GPL is still
no so effective in keeping the knowledge encoded bt software safe from
abuses from rhetoric.

>From the above I do not beleive the FSF will support abolishing author
rights, copyrights, patents and tradenarks, excepting software patens.
In case the FSF yes will do I will not support it.

Best,

Julian