Re: federated free software movement

From: Arthur Torrey
Subject: Re: federated free software movement
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 22:22:31 -0500 (EST)

We seem to keep going round and round on this one...

The original post on the topic was about a possible 'federated Free software
movement' to include (among others) Free Software advocates, the right to
repair folks and the open hardware community.  Each of these groups has their
own lists, websites, and other methods of communicating within their own
circles, and sets their own expectations of what is and isn't OK within them....

I would expect any federated activity to be in SEPARATE lists, websites, etc.
that are NOT part of the 'internal circles' of any of the groups, but are
rather an intersection of them.

What I am trying to say is that in those separate "federation" cooperative
groups there needs to be a focus on the shared objective and willingness to
accept that participants from other circles may not have all the same feelings
about issues that are only tangentially related...

Think of it as something like the various ecumenical religious associations
that are intended to allow persons of differing faiths to work together towards
common goals without fighting about details of doctrine...

I never intended that we should promote non-free software / hardware on this
Libre-planet list, only that we should be tolerant about it on whatever
federation structures evolve.

In terms of the power chair, the hardware outside of the electronics is pretty
universal, in fact there are only a few companies that make much of it.  The
actual chair 'manufacturers' only really make the frames and a few other bits
that they then attach outsourced parts to....  So basically you end up with two
motors (almost always brushed DC gearmotors) for the main drive system, and
optionally, one or more linear actuators for various seating functions.  The
electronics typically consist of a pair of high current PWM  motor controllers
that handle the tank-steer mixing of the drive motors, one or tw input
module(s), usually just one, and a module to control any lights, actuators and
other auxiliary functions.  There may also be extra added functions for things
like Bluetooth input to a computer / phone, environmental controls and so on,
mostly only seen on very complex chairs for those with extreme disabilities.

All the modules on a given chair must come from the same manufacturer and model
family.  They will be linked together using proprietary cables, and communicate
using proprietary protocols, so it is not possible to just reverse engineer one
of them, you have to do the entire system.  There is also a lot of fail-safe /
safe-fail engineering required to ensure that everything works properly.

It is a seriously gnarly problem

ART

Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>