Re: A mathematical, non-corruptable, algorithmic, democratic and free sy

From: vidak
Subject: Re: A mathematical, non-corruptable, algorithmic, democratic and free system of government and society
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 18:30:15 -0800

On 2022-01-11 01:02, Andrew Yu via libreplanet-discuss wrote:
> Hi, friends at Libreplanet.
>
> During a discussion in #fsf, we were quite critical of modern society,
> especially on copyright, patents, "intellectual property", healthcare
> and Capitalism.  A (possibly sarcastic of modern society) suggestion
> was raised to build islands in the middle of oceans from plastic waste
> and run a free society there.  This is obviously infeasible, but it
> reinforced my thoughts that free software isn't enough.  With people
> constantly in poverty, healthcare being so expensive in countries such
> as the United States, companies and individuals focusing on profit
> rather than genuine good for society, etc., free software is a step to
> bring us closer to good-old freedom, but with a society that hasn't
> woken up from the endless advertising (brainwashing) of cooprporations
> and governments, we'll almost inevitably be forced to use nonfree
> software, and have our right to freedom violated in countless other
> ways.
>
> I thought: Why aren't we doing a great job convincing users to switch to
> free software as a replacement to the proprietary software they use?
> Some classmates that I tried convincing into using Trisquel GNU/Linux
> noted that most modern programs that they use day-to-day only run on
> Android, Apple iOS, Apple macOS and Microsoft Windows, and these
> themselves are nonfree software that they can't escape using (For
> example, school here in China requires the use of WeChat and Tencent
> Meetings to have online classes, and does not have a way to let me
> dial-in by phone, despite my efforts explaining the Constitution and my
> rights to deny a contract I disagree with. [1]  They even went as far as
> saying "We don't care what the Constitution says, you play by our
> rules", which was a surprise to me.).  I reconsidered the situation,
> explained to them what freedom is in this context, and linked them to a
> comprimise, Deepin Linux, a (GNU/)Linux distribution targeted at new
> Chinese users who need WeChat, Tencent Meetings and all that in the
> application center.  This was a comprimise, but this is the best I could
> do given their situation.  Personally I use virtual machines that
> reset to snapshots every boot to run these programs, sometimes even run
> a GNU/Linux distribution inside the virtual machine and use Wine from
> there.  They aren't technically skilled and couldn't handle this.
> Some sources state that US courts require the use of Zoom, which is
> frustrating to think about.
>
> I asked myself:  Why do people choose convenience over freedom?  This is
> still a mystery to me, as this one of the problems in the to-solve list
> of the upcoming project.   I have a theory that it's a combination of
> social pressure and coorporate brainwashing, as companies are taking
> advantage of human psycology, creating an information cocoon of
> "convenience is the most important thing in your life", pushing products
> [...]

Andrew,

Your email is warmly welcomed. I have had exactly the same thoughts
recently.

It is interesting to me because, and I have no shame in admitting this,
I am an anarchist. I see Free Software as a way to resist the State and
try and dissolve it completely.

I would highly recommend you go back to them and show them GNU Guix?
Maybe the point is moot now. Guix is _insanely_ advanced, and that's the
angle you could take to them--the perfect package manager has finally
been built. To my mind, we've now perfectly solved the problem.

The way I look at the issue, though, is that the problem is with Statist
society in general. Hierarchical societies are not natural for humans,
so I maintain. I like GNU for its American sort of approach to this. I
don't share a lot of American culture, but GNU reminds me of Henry David
Thoreau's famous epithet: "the best government is that which governs
least of all, that is to say: not at all".

I come from an anarcho-communist approach. Perhaps we should have a
discussion about attracting attention to the radical elements of GNU--we
could convince people to join on that basis?

Anyway, I have gone on far too long.

Awesome to read your email (:

~vidak

https://zoinks.one/vidak