Re: Should we talk about "open source" hardware?

From: andrew
Subject: Re: Should we talk about "open source" hardware?
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 12:50:50 +0800

Let me copy this from the Code - OSS GitHub wiki...

# Differences between the repository and Visual Studio Code

This article outlines the differences between the
[`github.com/microsoft/vscode`](https://github.com/microsoft/vscode)
GitHub project (which we refer to as `Code - OSS`) and Microsoft's
[Visual Studio Code](https://code.visualstudio.com) distribution.

## The `Code - OSS` Repository

The [`Code - OSS`](https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode) repository is
where we (Microsoft) develop the open source editor upon which we build
the [Visual Studio Code](https://code.visualstudio.com) product. We
contribute source code and manage issues in this repository. We also
maintain the wiki, publish the Visual Studio Code roadmap, monthly
iteration plans, and endgame plans for the product. The source code in
this repository is available to everyone under a standard [MIT license]
(https://github.com/microsoft/vscode/blob/master/LICENSE.txt).

## Visual Studio Code

[Visual Studio Code](https://code.visualstudio.com) is a distribution
of the `Code - OSS` repository with Microsoft specific customizations,
including additional source code and extensions, released under a
traditional
[Microsoft product license](https://code.visualstudio.com/License/).

## What Goes Where?

We take great care to ensure that no proprietary code or assets are
accidently contributed to the `Code - OSS` repo, so that it can be
cloned and freely used by anyone in the community.

Our guiding principle is that everything should be open source. If it
isn't open source, it must be cleanly separated from the `Code - OSS`
repository so that it is always possible to fork the repo and build a
functional editor.

The small amount of assets and code that are not open source generally
fall into one of the following categories:

* Trademarked assets that define the brand (e.g. logos and product
  names)
* Code that has a reliance on existing proprietary code or libraries
* Code that is shared with other proprietary licensed products, such as
  Visual Studio
* Code that may be used in, or provides access to, a service that we
  run in our data centers (e.g. access to the [Visual Studio
  Marketplace](https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/vscode))
* Pre-release code that is undergoing significant revision

The closed source additions to the distribution make up a very small
percentage of the overall product.

While not open source, we believe that transparency is very important
to the health of the project and community. Therefore, we want to
outline "the last mile" between what you see in the repository and what
is built into the Visual Studio Code distribution. Most customizations
are done through the customization of `product.json`, but we do include
a small amount of additional code and assets in the final product.

| What | Why | How |
|------|-----|-----|
|Icons, Product Name (e.g. "Microsoft Visual Studio Code"), Documentation |
Microsoft trademarks, which provide brand recognition for customers and helps
to avoid confusion for downstream implementations. In other words, because we
protect the brands, you know it is a product from Microsoft when you see
it.|Static assets such as icons and the desktop image are included in the
distro. Product names and documentation URLs are added to `product.json`.|
|Visual Studio Marketplace Integration | The [Visual Studio
Marketplace](https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/vscode) is a service that we
provide to users of the Visual Studio family of products (Visual Studio for
Windows and Mac, Visual Studio Code, and Azure DevOps, formerly Visual Studio
Team Services). The Marketplace not only provides discovery and hosting
services, it provides ratings, comments, Q&A, publisher verification, virus
scanning, conflict resolution services, payment services for Azure DevOps
extensions, as well as support for publishers. The Marketplace is not a general
purpose store designed to support any distribution or a subset of
distributions. Access to the Marketplace is governed by the [Marketplace Terms
of Use](https://aka.ms/vsmarketplace-ToU).|`product.json` includes URLs that
point to the Visual Studio Marketplace.|
| Extension Recomendations | We maintain a curated list of "important" and
"general" extension recommendations that are subsequently installed from the
Marketplace, therefore we only include these in the distro. |`product.json`
includes an array of extension IDs. |
| Remote Development | Portions of the [Remote Development
extensions](https://aka.ms/vscode-remote/download) are used in [developer
services](https://aka.ms/vsfutures) that are run under a proprietary license.
While these extensions do not require these services to work, there is enough
code reuse that the extensions are also under a proprietary license. While the
bulk of the code is in the extensions and in the `Code - OSS` repository, a
handful of small changes are in the Visual Studio Code distribution.|Parts of
the code to negotiate a connection to the Visual Studio Code server are
proprietary. |
| Enable Proprietary Debug Adapters, Visual Studio Code Server | Certain
Microsoft extensions (e.g. C#/.NET debugger) and the Visual Studio Code Server
are distributed under a license that restricts their use to the Visual Studio
family of products (Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, or Visual Studio for
Mac).| The distribution includes a native node module that allows the extension
to use a "handshake" to adhere to the license by ensuring it is being used from
Visual Studio Code.|
| Extensions Using Proposed APIs | We follow a strict API process based on
proposed APIs ([Extension API
Process](https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/wiki/Extension-API-process)).
Because proposed APIs often break, we generally do not allow that any extension
using proposed APIs can be published to the Marketplace and loaded into Stable
builds. We do however maintain a small list of extensions that are exempted
from this rule because the publisher (typically Microsoft) has agreed to track
the API changes.| `product.json` includes a list of extension IDs that can be
published to the Marketplace and use proposed APIs.|
| Telemetry, Surveys, Crash Reporting| Microsoft collects **anonymous** usage
statistics, survey data, and crash dumps to help improve the quality of the
product. No personally identifiable information is gathered. Any data we do
collect, such as crash dumps, is persisted in compliance with GDPR guidelines
([FAQ](https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/supporting/faq#_gdpr-and-vs-code)).
You can disable telemetry collection, please see our
[FAQ](https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/supporting/faq#_how-to-disable-telemetry-reporting)
 for more details.| The App Insights telemetry keys, Hockey App URLs,
Experiment URLs, and Survey probabilities and URLs are stored in `product.json`
and are private so that other distributions cannot send us telemetry and we can
maintain GDPR compliance.|
| Update Services | Visual Studio Code periodically checks with a service that
we host to see if there are updates to be installed or, in extremely rare
occassions, rolled back. | `product.json` contains the URL of the update
service.|

I've Code - OSS from the Arch repositories back then, it was an okay
editor, but I don't prefer it to emacs or neovim.

Defend software freedom (https://fsf.org)
End software patents (https://endsoftwarepatents.org)
Read EULAs (https://www.eff.org/wp/dangerous-terms-users-guide-eulas)

New sites, suggestions welcome:
Free Computing Movement (https://fcm.andrewyu.org)
Host Things Yourself (https://host.andrewyu.org)
Libre Society (https://project.andrewyu.org/libresociety)

To any Skynet, FBI, CIA, NSA, etc. agents reading my email: please
consider whether defending the Constitution and our basic rights to
freedom and speech and privacy against all enemies, foreign or domestic,
requires you to follow Snowden's example.  (Adapted from RMS)

Andrew Yu <andrew@andrewyu.org> (https://www.andrewyu.org)