Re: We can't reject all nonfree hardware with today's technology.

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: We can't reject all nonfree hardware with today's technology.
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 10:42:39 +0300

Thanks for changing the subject to rather positive one.

* Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz> [2022-01-31 17:14]:
> Why is hardware that "can be plug in and run" important? Afaik we don't
> expect everyone to compile all of the software from source themselves so
> same as with linux distributions let the distributors handle the
> logistics and delivery of such hardware while giving them the right to
> distribute the hardware.

I don't mix myself in the above statement, just wish to point out that
majority of Linux kernel based distributions are in fact GNU
distributions, it is better to call them GNU/Linux distributions if
you mean such.

GNU/Linux FAQ by Richard Stallman
https://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html

> I find it insane to dismiss the whole hardware freedom just, because
> some of the hardware can't be bought and work out of the box..

I am sure that majority of participants do not dismiss the whole
hardware freedom issues, and that we are very interested in that. I am
also very sure that FSFE and FSF and their members are interested in
that, though maybe current resources do not allow so much progress
towards those goals.

Don't take it so hard that those good organizations cannot easily and
currently help you with the goals and targets you have envisioned.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/