Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware

From: Jacob Hrbek
Subject: Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 02:12:11 +0000

> I cannot see how FSF doesn't enable you to use any terms you wish and
-- Louis

Explained in previous e-mail, let me know if i missed anything and i
will elaborate.

> What I suggest to you is that you start re-defining, defining,
re-thinking and fixing very good all the legal issues by using legal
assistance, attorneys, advisors, various assistants or foundations and
organizations which support the cause. -- Louis

While i argue that the GPLv3 is not an option for Hardware freedom, this
is not the main issue as FSF still remains authority on User Freedom and
have a major impact on Hardware Freedom as explained in previous e-mail.

The only relevant organizations that i am aware of for this are:
- OSHW who are seemingly not aligned with FSF values
- FSFE who are already supporting hardware freedom with e.g.
https://fsfe.org/activities/routers/routers.en.html, but lack the
influence past FSF on the subject.

> Right now, it seem like you are confused, n
ot me. You speak of free
software license that should relate to hardware. But it is not meant for
hardware. -- Louis

Confusion is always a possibility, but i believe that i said that GPLv3
is being widely used for hardware development by FSF supporters and
members e.g. the mentioned RepRap developers who discussed GPLv4 that i
would support to include hardware freedom.

On 1/31/22 20:14, Jean Louis wrote:
* Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz> [2022-01-31 17:52]:
I agree that this is a problem, but as presented FSF doesn't enable us
to use other terms as it's too software-oriented so this is the best we
can do even when the hardware is released under GPLv3.
I cannot see how FSF doesn't enable you to use any terms you wish and
want.

Purpose of FSF is distributing free software, campaigning for it. How
is that disabling you to use any kind of language or terms in your
life or your activities?

And I cannot see how is hardware related t
o GPLv3, as it is software
license related to copyrights. Now you say it is related to
hardware.

When RMS designed GPL he was not alone in writing those texts. It
requires serious legal qualifications, skills and experience. To
design a long lasting copyright license for software requires bunch of
efforts.

What I suggest to you is that you start re-defining, defining,
re-thinking and fixing very good all the legal issues by using legal
assistance, attorneys, advisors, various assistants or foundations and
organizations which support the cause.

Right now, it seem like you are confused, not me. You speak of free
software license that should relate to hardware. But it is not meant
for hardware.

I do understand what you want with the hardware, but you should not
mix the terms.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https:
//stallmansupport.org/

--
Jacob Hrbek, In support of ukraine sovereignty #supportUkraine