Publication of the FSF-funded white papers on questions around Copilot

From: Devin Ulibarri
Subject: Publication of the FSF-funded white papers on questions around Copilot
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 07:37:07 -0500

Hi All,

Yesterday, the FSF published the white papers on GitHub's so-called
"Copilot". I encourage you to read the announcement and the papers, if
you are interested.

https://www.fsf.org/news/publication-of-the-fsf-funded-white-papers-on-questions-around-copilot

Also, Craig Topham, the Copyright & Licensing Associate, really wants
the community to discuss the implications that papers such as these lay
bare, and he suggested libreplanet-discuss as one of those places.

I hope we can discuss the papers here in the coming weeks and months,
and come up with an action plan. I read the papers. Before reading the
papers, I did not know what Copilot was -- or even if such a thing
existed -- but, after reading the papers, I am persuaded that projects
such as these pose a real threat to free software, and copyleft in
particular.

Also, if you come up with a good alternative name for "Copilot", please
share. Mine would be "Fauxpilot".

Enjoy, and please share the word!

Best,
Devin

--
Devin Ulibarri // Outreach & Communications Coordinator
Free Software Foundation

Join the FSF and help us defend software freedom: https://my.fsf.org/

US government employee? Use CFC charity code 63210 to support us through
the Combined Federal Campaign. https://cfcgiving.opm.gov/

GPG Key: 2E0E CE75 F816 2B40 7D66 6767 8797 38E6 D644 0D57
What's GPG? See https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/ for more info.