Re: Question of Aiding and Abetting Proprietary (or non-free) Software i

From: Yasuaki Kudo
Subject: Re: Question of Aiding and Abetting Proprietary (or non-free) Software in GNU projects
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:55:44 +0900

Now I think it is becoming clear that the main point of my question is indeed
this seeming contradiction:

>> * Emacs runs on Windows.  Instructions and reasons are stated clearly
>> (as you quoted)
>
> Which I am indeed questioning why it is handled by GNU, too.
>
>> * Guix OS technically runs on normal, unqualified Linux Kernel (not just
>> Linux-Libre).   However,
>> it is not "advertised" (the verb seemingly preferred by the community)
>> and even the discussion thereof is shunned.

-Yasu

PS1
Thank you for technical corrections. 😄 (To move away from Linux-Libre, all
that's needed [as you mentioned, nonguix, for example] is a config change
though - I know it because I practice it myself)

PS2
Regarding the technical wording of what is Linux, I have seen so many people
going into various details of what it means   But I still think, albeit without
much understanding of the technicalities, the basic fact of the matter is:

- Linux-Libre exists so that unaccountable (meaning no source code, not Free
Software) binary drivers are removed

- Linux, as opposed to above, does include (although there might be further
technical delineations of how driver files are packaged and given names) the
Blob drivers