Re: Software Freedom in education (was Re: very specific project proposa

From: Lori Nagel
Subject: Re: Software Freedom in education (was Re: very specific project proposal Re: What does Elon Musk say about free software?)
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 15:38:35 +0000 (UTC)

   I was reading your long email, and this has been on my mind for a long
   time, but in order to get the freedom respecting software technology
   into the hands of everyone for everything instead of proprietary
   software, what you have to solve is not a technology problem, but a
   marketing problem.

   If you think about how we got to the state we are in today, with
   proprietary software dominating in certain areas of computing, you have
   to remember that the reason for that is because of marketing, not
   because the products are better, but because of how people know about
   it, and the social relationships between people. Just because software
   has always been promoted a certain way, or that even it is promoted in
   a different way does not mean we have to keep doing it that way.

   I keep thinking about what you said, how asking questions is a skill
   that is honed with practice, and not everyone has mastered it, and how
   it goes over differently with different audiences. Then you talk about
   all those newbie questions and how people just want their stuff to
   work.

   Why should people have to answer endless newbie questions for free all
   the time, why can’t that be a paid job? Why wouldn’t people pay someone
   to hold their hand and basically help them through everything?

   A lot of the thinking about this kind of thing comes from people in the
   technology space, people who like to fool around for hours on end to
   get things to work, rather than just ask someone and have it done in
   five seconds. We have this fascination with technology and are happy
   to, for hours on end, get the search engines to hopefully bring in
   relevant results and then tweak them until it works.

   Yet, once you are in the mindset of a tech person, how can you get into
   the mindset of your opposite, the marketing person selling memberships,
   the multi-level network marketer, a person whose focus is on people,
   marketing and selling, not technology?

   The thing with marketing, is it is just as innovative as technology,
   and techniques that worked to get peoples attention and get them to buy
   are always changing, and yet the principles are timeless. You have to
   get the product in front of an audience and convince people that it is
   the product for them, or that it is the service for them.

   So, with that I have some questions. What if we improved tech support
   by bringing people in who speak the customers own language in terms
   they can understand? What if we brought people in whose strengths were
   not so focused on the technology piece, but on the human piece, and
   focused on the way people use technology rather than trying to turn
   everyone into a tech guru?

   I’ve often wondered if certain strategies used in marketing focused
   businesses could be used for tech support. What if the person selling
   the support could be responsible for the people they bring in, for
   getting them the help that they want with freedom respecting software?
   What if it was not about trying to save money, but people buying a
   membership in a community where they feel welcome and understood?

   I’m only one person, and I certainly don’t have all the answers, and I
   don’t expect technology focused people to necessarily wrap their heads
   around the idea that people are literally buying into this idea of a
   community and not a product or service. But, yet this is essentially
   what the free software foundation is, and we need to take this concept
   and expand it. We need to reach new markets through people whose
   primary interest is in marketing and relationships.

   I really think this needs to be discussed further. I do not think the
   issues are unsolvable, but that they will require always going outside
   of our communities, but also going outside our own modes of thought and
   becoming our opposites.

   On Sunday, May 22, 2022, 08:56:00 PM EDT, Yasuaki Kudo