Re: GPL on AI generated code

From: Marc Sunet
Subject: Re: GPL on AI generated code
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 18:05:15 -0800

There is an ongoing lawsuit on this:

https://githubcopilotlitigation.com/
https://githubcopilotinvestigation.com/

On 2/16/23 08:06, Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss wrote:
I would agree with this yes,  so if services such as ChatGPT change GPL code it remains under the GPL and should be released accordingly.

It may be the FSF need to check with the legal department on this, and amend the GPL licenses to suit if this needs to be explicitly stated.

I would also guess that creative commons should also be treated int he same way, so a picture under say  cc-by-sa (or similar) if modified by AI then this has to be released under the same license.

Paul