Re: interdependancies between libraries

From: Wesley W. Terpstra
Subject: Re: interdependancies between libraries
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 01:27:31 -0700

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 04:05:15PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

>     Wesley> What I've been doing for debs with inter-depends is having
>     Wesley> a local copy of ltmain.sh in my debian packages with the
>     Wesley> patch applied for building my project. Then it adds the
>     Wesley> right -L options.
>
> That seems to help the 2nd problem, Thanks.
>
> Any ideas on the first problem?

Sorry, none. I'm not a libtool hacker though. :-) Maybe someone else can
solve it. However, the issue I see here is that it's hard for libtool to
know that you aren't using the library that's pulled in by another library.
I mean, by linking to the library bar which uses library foo, you're allowed
to access foo's symbols. How is libtool to know that you're not - read
symbols listed unresolved in your app? Yikes

But, maybe there's a hack. :-)

--
Wesley W. Terpstra <address@hidden>
Javien Canada Inc. - Linux Developer