Re: libtool 1.5 on hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.20

From: Steve Edwards
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5 on hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.20
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:17:05 +0000

On 2003.08.18 06:52 Schleicher Ralph (LLI) wrote:
Steve Edwards writes:
> (Warning) At least one PA 2.0 object file (conftest.o) was detected.
> The linked output may not run on a PA 1.x system.

Add
     LDOPTS='+vnocompatwarnings +s'
     export LDOPTS

to your .profile file.

Thanks for that. It's (almost) worked.

This prevents the linker warning from appearing, however, libtool still insists that the +Z flags for PIC does not work with the native hp f77. The native f77 lists on standard error the names of each source file and procedure as they are encountered. libtool checks that there is _nothing_ on stderr. From the configure script:

# The compiler can only warn and ignore the option if not recognized
# So say no if there are warnings
if test ! -s conftest.err; then
  lt_prog_compiler_pic_works_F77=yes
fi

When conftest.f is compiled however, the native compiler writes to stderr:

conftest.f:
   t:

where 't' is the name of the conftest subroutine. This is similar behaviour to the IBM AIX xlf/xlf90 compiler and the Sun sparc compiler f77, all of which write to stderr to say that everything compiled okay (?!). So in all of the cases I've seen so far, the Fortran compiler checks for PIC flags always return 'no' unless you are using GCC (IBMs xlf/xlf90 on AIX systems don't count as all code on rs6000 is PIC anyway).

Have I missed something very obvious on all of these sytems?

Steve