Re: I still do not know how to use -rpath with libtool+automake

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: I still do not know how to use -rpath with libtool+automake
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:11:47 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Bruce Korb wrote:

This should be really simple.  I find it extraordinarily difficult.
I have a project that has a library and an executable.  When I
run the executable, it needs to get externals resolved against
the library in the build tree, not the installed version.  So far,

Normally libtool's generated wrapper script causes the uninstalled library to be used. If this is not the case, then there is a bug.

If the system supports LD_LIBRARY_PATH, then it should be used via the wrapper script. Otherwise the libraries and dependent programs need to be re-linked during the install phase, which is slow and clunky, and might even fail. The method used is part of libtool's own configuration mechanism, and I don't think that you can alter it without modifying libtool itself.

Use './libtool --config' to see all of the configuration options that libtool selected for your system. Short descriptions are included.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn