Re: Cannot bootstrap with libtool 1.5.18

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Cannot bootstrap with libtool 1.5.18
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 20:32:00 +0200

Hi Bruce,

* Bruce Korb wrote on Fri, May 27, 2005 at 07:51:39PM CEST:
> Here's the log from the "configure" step:

Either `autoreconf' or `bootstrap script' step, I presume.  :)

> > autoopts/Makefile.am:84: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
> > autoopts/Makefile.am:84:
> > autoopts/Makefile.am:84: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add
> > `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
> > autoopts/Makefile.am:84: to `configure.in' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf'
> > again.

`automake' is the one that says this.

> Needless to say, this worked before *and* I do, in fact, have
> "AC_PROG_LIBTOOL" in place in the "configure.in" file.  What
> is this message really trying to say?

That it did not find the macros which do define `LIBTOOL', presumably
because they are not in aclocal.m4, that in turn presumably because you
installed Libtool-1.5.18 into a different prefix that Automake and thus
the last `aclocal' run did not find them.

Am I right?  Then get `aclocal' to find the right libtool.m4 file.
(-I can serve as bad bandaid, or the `dirlist' file be used, or the
macros installed in the same prefix right away).

Cheers,
Ralf