Re: shared library depending on static library on Solaris

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: shared library depending on static library on Solaris
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:37:15 +0200

Hi Sven,

* Sven Verdoolaege wrote on Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 06:31:29PM CEST:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 09:34:41AM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
> > > Is there a problem with my assumptions or with libtool ?
> >
> > This is a bug in libtool, I believe.
> > deplibs_check_method may not be pass_all on your system.
>
> I just tried this (this is not my development system; I just
> used the libtool created on another system before) and
> actually, it passes all tests (and skips one).

*snip*
> SKIP: demo-nopic.test

demo-nopic is the one that will expose the limitation of the system:
non-PIC objects may not be put in shared objects.  We skip it correctly
here, but we currently don't have a test that exposes the failure you
reported, namely that we need to make sure that on these systems we do
not try to link shared libs against static libs.

> > > billie$ uname -a
> > > SunOS billie 5.8 Generic_117350-24 sun4u sparc
> >
> > Unfortunately, I still don't know enough about Solaris to fix this right
> > away without breaking other uses.
>
> Let me know if I can help in testing.

You could write a simple test that exposes this error.  This would be
extremely helpful, as we fail this issue on other systems as well
(linux/x86_64 for example).

The test could go somewhere like this: compile a lib statically, install
it (the test suite has some default dirs for temporary installs), then
build a shared lib that tries to link against it.  Then build an
executable that need symbols from both that shared and that static lib.

Patches are always welcome.  :)

Regards,
Ralf