solaris 10: address@hidden

From: David Lee
Subject: solaris 10: address@hidden
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:10:59 +0100 (BST)

Quite a few folk seem to be having trouble linking on Solaris 10.

These seem to be well-established applications, that have compiled and linked for years on a wide range of OSes, including Solaris 8 and 9, but something seems subtly different on Solaris 10: some interaction amongst Solaris 10 libraries, GNU ld, libtool. It is unclear whether this is multiple "pilot error", of a fault in a single one of that list, or some strange interaction.

The faults are typically of the form:
    [...] undefined reference to address@hidden'
    [...] undefined reference to address@hidden'
    [...] undefined reference to address@hidden'
    [...] undefined reference to address@hidden'

and probably related to the building of convenience libraries.

The collection of examples is primarily at:
   http://forum.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=24107&tstart=0

augmented with a little discussion on "comp.unix.solaris".

The first question is very simple: are there any already-known issues in this area? (Known problem? Known resolution?)

If not, then where might we (as beginners) begin?

(Incidentally: this may or may not be relevant to the above: in my own case, I know that our GNU ld and libtool are somewhat out-of-date. So I've attempted to get libtool 1.5.18 installed. "make check" is fine on S8, but has a failure in "mdemo2-make.test" on S10. If someone can guide me, I'd be happy to try to pursue this futher.)

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :