libtool 1.5 -static and installed libraries

From: Howard Chu
Subject: libtool 1.5 -static and installed libraries
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:19:03 -0700

We just migrated from libtool-1.4.3 to 1.5.18 in the OpenLDAP CVS HEAD, and are seeing a new linking problem. By default we link with -static so that our local libtool-generated libraries get statically linked. But we don't use -all-static; we don't want to alter the default linking for system-installed libraries.

On SuSE 9.x when the libdb devel RPM is installed, a libdb.la file is also installed, and libtool 1.5 finds and reads this file. In this case, libtool chooses to link the static libdb into our slapd executable, rather than the shared library, even though the .la file says "installed=yes". This results in an unusable binary on SuSE 9.x because the default static library doesn't support thread-local storage/NPTL, while the default C library requires it. (But if the shared library is used instead, the runtime linker can locate the correct libdb.)

So the question is, why does linking with -static cause libtool to behave like -all-static was used, why does it ignore the installed status of the libraries?
--
  -- Howard Chu