Re: branch-2-0 vs CVS HEAD

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: branch-2-0 vs CVS HEAD
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:56:31 +0100

Hallo Ralf,

On 22 Aug 2005, at 21:00, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Furthermore, it has at least this serious bug in its new functionality:
- using libltdl but not as subpackage does not work as advertised
  (this bug is in part a documentation bug -- LTDL_INIT needs to be
  suitably documented -- but also the AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS call from
  LT_WITH_LTDL needs to be made configurable)

Hmm... I'll look into this when --patch-23 is resolved.

This concern was just because cvs diff hadn't picked up all of -- patch-23
right?  Everything seems to work fine here...

Regardless, LTDL_INIT is not documented at the moment, and I'm not sure we want to explicitly support use of libltdl except as a subpackage. Although it has been possible to do so for quite some time (if only because libtool
itself has done so on and off over the last few years), we have never
really *designed* an interface for it. Post-2.0, we can always firm up a
long term interface, document it and *then* make a commitment to support
that interface in the future.

Cheers,
    Gary.
--