Re: Building mingw32 DLLs without -no-undefined?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Building mingw32 DLLs without -no-undefined?
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:35:36 +0100

Hi Simon,

* Simon Josefsson wrote on Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 03:15:29PM CET:
> Hi!  I'm able to build a win32 DLL of libidn using libtool and
> mingw32, but it didn't work with libgsasl.  The difference was that
> libidn specified a -no-undefined where as libgsasl didn't.  libgsasl
> depend on libidn, so that is understandable.

Well, if it *specifies* that dependency, then all is well, and it should
use `-no-undefined'.

> `-no-undefined'
>      Declare that OUTPUT-FILE does not depend on any other libraries.

`any other' is supposed to mean: any you have not specified on the link
command line.

>      Some platforms cannot create shared libraries that depend on other
>      libraries (*note Inter-library dependencies::).
>
> Is it possible to build a DLL that depend on other libraries?

Surely.  Try it, report back any problems.  :-)

For some more info on this half-broken flag, this post may be helpful:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/18727

Cheers,
Ralf