Re: Compiler checks in AM_PROG_LIBTOOL

From: Olly Betts
Subject: Re: Compiler checks in AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:54:33 +0000 (UTC)

On 2007-03-05, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> As a workaround (that AFAICS won't break things in the future) you can put
>   m4_defun([_LT_AC_LANG_CXX_CONFIG])
>   m4_defun([_LT_AC_LANG_F77_CONFIG])

Neat.  However to avoid problems with fussier bourne shells, I found that I
have to define them to something, for example:

m4_defun([_LT_AC_LANG_F77_CONFIG], [:])

Otherwise the generated configure script contains:

        if test -n "$F77" && test "X$F77" != "Xno"; then

        else
          tagname=""
        fi

And some bourne shells don't like "then else" with nothing in between.

I noticed that eliminating the F77 tag code reduced the size of my configure
script by about 12%.  After looking at where this reduction came from, I tried
adding these two lines to configure.ac which knocked an additional 15% off the
size of the generated configure script for me (13% is from GCJ; 2% from RC):

   m4_defun([_LT_AC_LANG_GCJ_CONFIG], [:])
   m4_defun([_LT_AC_LANG_RC_CONFIG], [:])

The total reduction in configure size from eliminating F77, GCJ, and RC (I use
C++ so I can't eliminate that) is about 209KB (~25% in my case).

Cheers,
    Olly