Re: Libtool woes

From: Jason Curl
Subject: Re: Libtool woes
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:10:55 +0200

Brian Dessent wrote:
Jason Curl wrote:

/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -version-info
0:0:0  -o libtp.la -rpath /usr/local/lib version.lo
libtool: link: warning: undefined symbols not allowed in i686-pc-cygwin
shared libraries

Libtool won't build shared libraries on Win32/PE targets without
-no-undefined in *_LDFLAGS.  The text of this warning message could
perhaps be clearer, because it's not telling you that you necessarily
have any undefined symbols, it's telling you that you didn't assure
libtool that you don't.

I guess what happens if I don't say this the build will fail. I've turned it on and it looks good. I'll try and search more info later, but while I'm at it:
- Why is it .dll.a and not .dll?
- How is versioning information embedded in the DLL, or is the basis of the DLL hell?

lib -OUT:.libs/libtp.lib  version.o
../libtool: line 5973: lib: command not found

I'm not sure why it's trying to use lib here, that seems wrong if you're
using gcc/binutils.  Possibly a configure problem?

It was a configure problem. My shame! Trying to work around a Solaris 10 issue, where the "ld" is not found automatically I wrote an AC_PROG_LD. Unfortunately this gets used instead of the original and I never noticed if there were any conflicts. That's why it didn't matter if I used it or not in my configure.ac script, I actually had to delete it first before everything came back to normal.

Sorry for the noise. It looks like I'll have to read up a lot more about shared library concepts in general to understand libtool better. Only one more problem I know of to go!