libunwind-devel

Re: Slow libunwind performance with my build

From: Dave Watson
Subject: Re: Slow libunwind performance with my build
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 15:22:08 -0700

Probably a configure flag, try some combination of

--disable-debug
--disable-block-signals
--disable-conservative-checks
--enable-per-thread-cache

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 3:17 PM Borges, Matt <matt.borges@sap.com> wrote:

Hi,

Sorry if this gets sent twice...

I grabbed the 1.5.0 source and built libunwind myself on a linux SUSE system.  On this linux machine there already exists libunwind in /usr/lib64 but I want to build it myself.  To build I’m running autogen.sh, then configure and finally make.  When I run my test program which gets callstacks once a millisecond, I see that the libunwind I built takes 4 times longer than the one installed on the system.

I’ve also tried adding -O2 -m64 to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS but it doesn’t make a difference.

Is there anything obvious in the above steps that would indicate why there is this huge difference in performance with the version I am building?  For example, do I have to pass any options to autogeh.sh, configure, or make to perform an optimized production build?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

--
-Dave