Re: [Lightning] AMD64 GNU Lightning port & using lightning....

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Lightning] AMD64 GNU Lightning port & using lightning....
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:18:36 +0200

I'm wondering why GNU lightning is not more used.
The focus seems to be moved to libjit... :-P
In particular, I am surprised that, given that Paolo is the maintainer of GNU sed -and other GNU utilities- GNU lightning is not used there.
Well it is used by GNU Smalltalk (the only GNU program that I maintain together with GNU sed)...
I do know that most commands are disk bound (including grep & sed) but I still believe they could be speeded up by using Lightning there (to transform the automaton into code).
Well, complex sed scripts are not necessarily disk bound. However, the automaton is implemented in the regex matcher, and I can see quite a few problems in that:

1) the glibc regex matcher is incredibly complex (nowhere near a "simple" syntax-directed matcher like PCRE's) in order to support, for example, internationalization.

2) lightning is not very portable, even though PowerPC/x86 alone cover the wide majority of deployed systems -- x86/64 would be a big boost indeed.

3) the glibc maintainer is quite "strict" in what he allows to go in glibc.

Paolo