Re: [Lightning] On `LIGHTNING_CONFIGURE_IF_NOT_FOUND'

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Lightning] On `LIGHTNING_CONFIGURE_IF_NOT_FOUND'
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 16:16:12 +0200

@code{LIGHTNING_CONFIGURE_IF_NOT_FOUND} will first look for a
pre-installed copy of @lightning{} and, if it can be found, it will
use it; otherwise, it will do exactly the same things that
@lightning{}'s own configure script does.
... s/do exactly.*/try to find a compatible back-end for the copy of lightning in your package's source directory/.

Sounds ok?
  If @lightning{} is
already installed, or if the configuration process succeeds,
s/the configuration process succeeds/the system is supported by lightning/
it will define the @code{HAVE_LIGHTNING} symbol.
The "do the same things that..." sentence and the meaning of "if the
configuration process succeeds" were not crystal-clear to me.

Anyway, I'd rewrite lines 26 and 37 of `lightning.m4' as follows:

  if test -n "$cpu_subdir" && test -d "lightning"; then
It could be an idea. But I could also give a hard error if "test -d lightning" fails. If you don't want a drop-in lightning, you can use only

AC_CHECK_HEADERS([lightning.h])

Can't you?

Thanks for helping clarifying the docs,

Paolo