[Lightning] [Fwd: Re: lightning for x86-64???]

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Lightning] [Fwd: Re: lightning for x86-64???]
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 03:38:25 +0900

good news coming...
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: lightning for x86-64??? Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:17:56 -0400
On Oct 26, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > On Oct 26, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> >
> >> Hey, would you like to contribute it back??? I'd be thrilled! :-)
> >
> > Actually it's Matthew Flatt who did the (hard) work of making it
> > work and should get the credit (CCed).  I'm sure that he'll also
> > think that merging these changes back into lightening is avery
> > good idea.  If we get our sources to match the official Lightning
> > sources, then pulling new stuff that you do is easier -- so this
> > is definitely a step in the right direction.
> >
> As a first check, the diffs merge cleanly into my lightning (whose
> CVS is always on Savannah).

Good!

> However, I would like to have a asm-32.h and asm-64.h file
> (including a common asm-i386.h file) and only one of them would be
> used (through symbolic links).  If you can do the testing, I can do
> the work.

I *hope* I can do the testing -- the thing is that (as you have
probably seen) Matthew took a few parts and used them directly.  So I
might get stuck and ask him for help.  Also, the testing will be in
the form of compiling and using mzscheme (which JITs code through
lightning).

IIUC, I can try things quickly by hacking a foo.h file that will have:

  #ifdef JIT_X86_64
  #  include asm-64.h
  #else
  #  include asm-32.h
  #endif

and if that works, hack the parts of mzscheme configuration that use
one of these directly instead of foo.h.

> >> (In principle I can just take it from mzscheme because of the
> >> GPL, but I thought I'd ask first).
> >
> > (You mean LGPL, I hope -- we're LGPL so we cannot use GPL
> > software...)
> >
> Well yeah.  Sorry, it's 3am here.
>
> Let's continue the discussion on address@hidden (not CCed for
> privacy in case you disagree).

No problems -- feel free to forward these messages there for
archiving.

--- End Message ---