[Lightning] Re: [Help-smalltalk] Any objections on switching to git?

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Lightning] Re: [Help-smalltalk] Any objections on switching to git?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:53:27 +0100

> GIT is Linux specific, as far as I know there is no Windows port.

There is http://repo.or.cz/w/git/mingw.git though I've not tried it.
It surely works great on Mac OS X and *BSD.

> For my own project, I have switched from Arch to Mercurial
> (http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/). Several big projects are using
> Mercurial, like OpenSolaris or Xen. Apparently you have the same
> features as GIT, especially bisect and visualisation tools. Mercurial
> is much like GIT to me, but more portable and simpler to use. YMMV.

As for portability, I have no problems believing you. As for
simplicity, I think that mileages vary a lot.  I had to write patches
to fit my needs indeed, and it's been pretty painful.  ;-)  But I'm
quite satisfied now that my itches have been scratched.

Anyway, this is not going to happen today or tomorrow since
fixing the "corrupt archive" was just a matter of deleting the
revision library and merging from my master archive (address@hidden).
Still, I'm looking for opinions.

Paolo