[Lightning] Re: how does one implement exceptions?

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Lightning] Re: how does one implement exceptions?
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:09:34 +0100

> (Based on what I've read in the
> mailing list archives, another alternative would be doing a full
> conversion into CPS, having all stack frames in the heap etc.. but I'd
> like to avoid this if at all possible.)

Well, this is just what GNU Smalltalk does.  It does not have all stack
frames in the heap, it has stack frames on a separate stack that *are*
allocated/deallocated LIFO.  This is what you meant by "using another
memory area for a custom data stack".

>  Actually, it seemed to me that Lightning doesn't even let one have
> direct access to the stack pointer and push/pop operations (I suppose
> for platform independence reasons).

It has access to the native stack via a frame pointer.  See jit_allocai
and JIT_FP in the manual.

Paolo