LibJIT / Lightning interoperability issue

From: Daniel Schwen
Subject: LibJIT / Lightning interoperability issue
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 18:57:56 -0700

Hello list,

I noticed that both the LibJIT as well as Lightning libraries export
the jit_memcpy, jit_memmove, jit_realloc, and jit_free functions,
causing crashes when linking to both.

It looks like the functions are only declared in jit_private.h and not
part of the public API, so I have tried renaming them and this fixes
the problem:

https://github.com/dschwen/lightning/commit/7bfc7f1e1857790a072ebe441b8fbc506739a873

Another option would be to control symbol export in the build system, which I've done in this commit:

https://github.com/dschwen/lightning/commit/e9ee173fc92b90deb22fa6d5abf5d31505972b0f

I know this is an easy to dismiss issue, but I'm working on a generic
mathematical _expression_ parsing library with JIT support, and I'd like to
offer as many options as possible for JIT backends, and am frequently (actually
always) building and linking against multiple JIT libs. It just seems like good
software practice not to export unneeded symbols, as they all occupy one single
global namespace and the more symbols you export the slower the link times get.

Cheers,
Daniel