Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1670 in lilypond: Allow numbers in variable na

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1670 in lilypond: Allow numbers in variable names: violin.1.mvt.2 = c'
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 06:17:03 +0000

Comment #23 on issue 1670 by address@hidden: Allow numbers in variable names: violin.1.mvt.2 = c'

Regarding comment #21: LilyPond does not allow notes at the toplevel itself, but they are allowed as part of toplevel constructs in a manner that does not really facilitate robust mode switching within the constructs.

With regard to name.7 : the current uses of the period as a separating character are not forming lexical units: you can always intersperse blanks and/or create parts of the expression using Scheme expressions or strings. There is, admittedly, one mostly transparent exception in that a.b will become a single string in lyrics mode and will be pulled apart into constituents in the parser during analysis, but this exception is can't be told from the real thing as long as you don't write a. b which then is two words, and not a symbol list. You would turn this exception into the rule.

For better or worse, .3 is already considered a floating point number on its own.

I don't quite see comment #6 as an endorsement of this scheme since it applies to a different situation (we _did_ change identifier syntax after a lot of deliberation in order to unify it across modes) and I don't really see that the complexity it seeks to avoid is in any case reduced by using schemes including dots rather than quotes.

Make no mistake: the exceptions I introduced also are not something I am overly fond of, they just appeared to introduce more advantages than disadvantages. \"violin1", make no mistake, is quite ugly as well, but at least it does not cause significant syntax compromises elsewhere. It delivers this "feature" without messing with existing lexical units.