Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2985 in lilypond: lilypond: Umlauts and other

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2985 in lilypond: lilypond: Umlauts and other special characters incorrectly exported to PDF meta data
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 11:39:05 +0000

Updates:

Comment #13 on issue 2985 by address@hidden: lilypond: Umlauts and other special characters incorrectly exported to PDF meta data

I am putting the status back from "Invalid" to "Accepted" as indeed LilyPond produces an invalid PDF in the course of its operation. Even though this is really the fault of GhostScript, we might have ways to circumvent triggering this bug. One way that comes to mind would be _not_ to use Latin1 encoding ever, but rather switch between ASCII-only and UTF16BE with BOM for pdfmarks.

The problem with that approach is that according to the GhostScript bug database earlier versions of Ghostscript actually produced wrong XML for the case UTF16BE. So while going ASCII/UTF16BE is an improvement for _current_ buggy versions of Ghostscript, it is not clear that it is also an improvement for _previous_ buggy versions of Ghostscript. At the very least, we would need to make sure that the kind of Ghostscript we distribute packaged with LilyPond for various platforms will behave nicer with that encoding scheme.