Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2724 in lilypond: This natural stem is too sho

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2724 in lilypond: This natural stem is too short
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 07:58:39 +0000

Comment #3 on issue 2724 by address@hidden: This natural stem is too short

I found this same issue. Having the stems shortened by the default amounts can result in some really bad aesthetics (even worse than the example shown above).

I find it aesthetically a bit better to have *some* clearance between the flags and the note heads, so I ended up disabling the shortening for flagged stems entirely:

override Stem #'details #'stem-shorten =  #'(1.0 0 0)

That is perhaps more than most people would like. It is more than Keith suggests and more than Karol wants, so I suspect there will simply be difference of opinion on this matter.

I attach an image showing an original engraving with clear and distinct flags, LIlypond’s default output, and my tweaked version.

Attachments:
        comparison.gif  30.0 KB