Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3160 in lilypond: chord names pushed into the

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3160 in lilypond: chord names pushed into the staff
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 21:12:29 +0000

Comment #8 on issue 3160 by address@hidden: chord names pushed into the staff

I think it's important to maintain this distinction.
You did not describe the distinct things, between which to maintain "this distinction".

I suggest that the two things are
1) graphical objects, having outlines stored in a skyline, for which we allow space including the requested padding 2) the conceptual presence of a line, whether empty or not, which we use to determine how many baseline-skips to apply, based on the basic-distance and minimum-distance property of the line.

LilyPond keeps these concepts mostly distinct. For example we have the option remove-empty to control if an absence of events on a line should remove the entire line. Some the page-spacing code, however, assumes that graphically empty lines are to be conceptually removed, while other code does not, raising issue 1669.

So, for example, you could create a transparent stub grob that causes the
VerticalAxisGroup of Dynamics to always have a skyline.

Probably we do not want this (and if I understand correctly you bring it up to show why you do not want it). Notes and protrusions from the Staff above and below often protrude through gaps in an intervening Lyrics or Dynamics line.

Thus, a baseline cannot be established to it because it is "solid" nowhere.

Well, we can and do space lines based on their 'basic-distance properties when the skylines of these lines are well clear of each other. In several cases, a graphically empty line has its baseline spaced this way---for example, the way version 2.16 sets the input at the top of this issue.

The only place I see where the spacing code completely skip lines that are graphically empty is in align-interface.cc:get_skylines(). From the comments on issue 1669 we see that the reason for this skipping was to estimate page heights better, assuming empty lines would be removed under the remove-empty mechanism. It would seem better to test under the actual remove-empty rules, which
 Hara_kiri_group_spanner::request_suicide (Grob *me, int start, int end)
will do for us, without actually removing the line, so we can get the correct answers for hypothetical layouts during the line-and-page-breaking stage.