Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3255 in lilypond: \with-dimensions doesn't wor

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3255 in lilypond: \with-dimensions doesn't work with zero extension
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 04:54:03 +0000

Comment #13 on issue 3255 by address@hidden: \with-dimensions doesn't work with zero extension

Workaround: add a line
 \override TextScript #'vertical-skylines = #'()
which I will shortly suggest that we make the default, anyway.

The code for \with-dimensions doesn't override the grob-property Y-extent, but the field in the stencil data structure (which is used as the default when Y-extent is requested, but not defined as a property)

In cases with non-text objects (like the Hairpins mentioned above) I used to override 'minimum-Y-extent in order to enforce a minimum size -- reserving space for the union, combination with "or", of the actual extent and my specified minimum. There was no corresponding 'maximum-Y-extent, presumably because users never wanted objects to collide.

The example above asks for things to collide, but it is unrealistic, probably in order to be minimal. (The example asks LilyPond to put the baseline of the text at the minimum of 'padding or 'staff-padding below the lowest staff-line or on-staff object.) If we want test inside the staff, we add
 \override TextScript #'staff-padding = ##f
More often we want extra space and increase the extents.