Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3266 in lilypond: \box overlaps

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3266 in lilypond: \box overlaps
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 05:33:50 +0000

Comment #5 on issue 3266 by address@hidden: \box overlaps

Without the boxes, the nested braces look quite pretty to me, but I have no idea what musical meaning they are meant to convey.

Version 2.14 and earlier used to space braces like 2.17.12 does.

Ever since commit
  75b6aae6 Date:   Tue Aug 23 10:28:03 2005 +0000
* mf/feta-beugel.mf (braces_per_font): make brace glyph align exactly to bbox. the right side of the bounding box has been at the reference point of the glyph.

The braces do align correctly for nested staff-groups
 \new GrandStaff << g'1
 \new GrandStaff <<
 \new GrandStaff << c'1 g'1 >> g'1 >> >>
 \layout { \context { \GrandStaff \accepts GrandStaff }}

The markup-command \left-brace appeared in commit
  dc1af73a Sat Aug 1 00:06:45 2009 +0100
    New markup commands \left-brace and \right-brace.
The command \left-brace *could* return a markup with dimensions more appropriate for use in markup. ( I have no idea how braces are used in markup, though. )

If we don't have an example where we know the desired output, let's mark this invalid.