Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3268 in lilypond: Reinstate text spacing behav

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3268 in lilypond: Reinstate text spacing behaviour of 2.16.x
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:00:46 +0000

Comment #6 on issue 3268 by address@hidden: Reinstate text spacing behaviour of 2.16.x

I'm *strongly* against this patch. It disables lots of benefits we got from Mike's skyline work.

Short counterexample:
{ a'4\f c''4\f  c''4^\f a'4^\f  d''^\f( g'') }
this looks very nice with current master, and very bad with Keith's patch.

Long counterexample. Sources are here:
https://github.com/janek-warchol/eja-mater-demonstration
And two versions of output are here:
http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/tmbGuRX2%2FfTnUJTEb6BkWw
The differencies may seem subtle, but they are very important. They are what sets apart excellent engraving from a merely good one.

@Werner: this seems like a good idea - kind of padding.
I recall that some time ago i've suggested something similar, i think i called it magnetic skylines. I'll make an issue about it.

Attachments:
        keith counterexample.png  7.0 KB