Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3295 in lilypond: Change appearance of clef oc

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3295 in lilypond: Change appearance of clef octavation
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 12:07:48 +0000

Comment #5 on issue 3295 by address@hidden: Change appearance of clef octavation

On 2013/04/04 10:42:12, dak wrote:
At any rate, I don't know of any situation where the octavation
of a clef would change except between movements, so the necessity
for a strong imprint seems low.

Well, some time ago i had typeset my friend's piece for electric guitar duo + bass, and while most of the music sat comfortably on the "guitar clef" (i.e. G_8), for the solo passage i used untransposed clef (the solo is really high, and also its a bit too long to use an ottava spanner). Maybe that wasn't a wise choice, but when i played from it i liked it.

Anyway, i think that changing the appearance to something heavier is a matter of consistency with our style. LilyPond was designed with the old hand engraving looks in mind; notice that other elements are much heavier than octavation number - take a look at an image with more context:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jv21jqok5efaiig/with-context-current.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2i4dukanejktwe/with-context-suggested.png

I think that the best option would be to use a semibold font, but we don't have that option with Century schoolbook. At any rate, i think that we should at least either increase the fontsize from -4 to -3, or make the number bold (apart from making it roman, which seems to have more dignity to my eyes).

Also, keep in mind that above examples are at font-size 20. At smaller font-sizes clef and other glyphs will be even heavier.