Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2658 in lilypond: wrong stem rendering (incons

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2658 in lilypond: wrong stem rendering (inconsistent thickness)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 13:52:14 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Patch-countdown Patch-review

Comment #51 on issue 2658 by address@hidden: wrong stem rendering (inconsistent thickness)

I wrote a mail but don't expect much from it. With the most rigorous action possible, first results won't appear before the end of the year, and we could depend on them being available in several years. But given the maturity of the project and the basic nature of the problems, it is much more probable that we'll get the "people rely on the current behavior, so let's not change it" treatment, even if there is not much one can actually rely on.

I am currently setting this issue back to Patch-review from countdown since I need to come to reasonable decisions what to make of this mess.

As to "how much work do you estimate writing PDFs ourselves" to be: perfect scope for a GSoC project as it mostly involves straightforward coding with both the PostScript and PDF reference in hand. The main trickiness will likely be the font handling/inclusion/embedding/whatever, and it may well be that Pango and/or Cairo helps significantly with that. Maybe even using Pango/Cairo completely for PDF writing might be an option: if the mapping is straightforward enough, they should offer fewer ways to go wrong than ps2pdf does.

And if we had an option to bypass Ghostscript altogether for generating bitmaps, it might give us more control over the process. Though I don't have an idea how mature the rendering engines of Cairo are actually. But at least they tend to get more of a beating on low-resolution devices than Ghostscript does.