Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3255 in lilypond: \with-dimensions doesn't aff

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3255 in lilypond: \with-dimensions doesn't affect the overall size of a TextScript
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 01:18:17 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Patch-push Patch-needs_work

Comment #24 on issue 3255 by address@hidden: \with-dimensions doesn't affect the overall size of a TextScript

While writing a better regression test, I realized one would reasonably expect the space to affect only part of the markup that has \with-dimensions or similar:
 f^\markup {\note-by-number #1 #0 #UP   \pad-around #0.5 fa }
One would expect skyline spacing for the tall note, but apparently there is reason for padding around the "fa", and one would expect LilyPond to keep note-stems and such things outside that padding.

The "extent" of the piece of the stencil, the only thing by \with-dimensions and similar, is forgotten when the stencil is combined with others. We would need to include the \with-dimensions dimensions into the new tag that says "please treat this portion as a simple box" -- or just have \with-dimensions draw an invisible and transparent box.