Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3878 in lilypond: MIDI lyrics start at 0 even

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3878 in lilypond: MIDI lyrics start at 0 even when music doesn't
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 22:08:44 +0000

Comment #23 on issue 3878 by address@hidden: MIDI lyrics start at 0 even when music doesn't

I think we should go back to the first version of this patch, using the first Audio_item instead of first_mom, because it's more robust against future features. Currently it's impossible to have an Audio_item before first_mom, but there are plausible features that might do this:
 * Articulations that play more notes before the original note
 * Starting notes early to compensate for slow attacks
 * Interpretive transformations that change timing

Any of these would cause time-travel errors if the MIDI output starts at the beginning of the score rather than the beginning of the performance. (However, they could also cause ordering problems with non-note MIDI commands like patch changes, so maybe they'd need more timing mechanism than just emitting notes at different times.)

Scores that begin with rests aren't a problem -- they start from 0 if the first note is later.

What bothers me about midiOffset is that it's an additional feature (not just making existing functionality work) to save a little effort in a rare use case. If synchronizing midi from multiple scores were common, I'd agree we should make it easy, but we don't know if anyone has ever wanted this, so why spend complexity on it?