Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3904 in lilypond: robots.txt: disallow old sta

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3904 in lilypond: robots.txt: disallow old stable and old development doc
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 00:25:22 +0000

Comment #5 on issue 3904 by address@hidden: robots.txt: disallow old stable and old development doc

dynamics site:lilypond.org/doc/v2.12

That doesn't work. (Try it.) The pages are not indexed at all and won't turn up in any search no matter how specific.

we currently have a redirect from doc/stable to doc/v2.18. I don't know if copying (?) the contents in doc/stable would be a good idea.

Could the redirect just point in the opposite direction?

PageRank updates rather quickly, for sure mure more quickly than LilyPond release cycle :-)

They re-crawl the web and recompute the rankings very frequently, but the rankings are based in large part on links that may never update. The 2.12 documentation continued to rank highly for a long time after new versions came out presumably because of many other web pages (such as mailing list archives) that link to it. If the current documentation was always in doc/stable, the web would gradually accumulate links pointing there and eventually there would be enough to beat 2.12's rank. I don't know how long it would take.

I don't think that we should mind too much about Wayback machine.

I admit that it may be irrelevant in practice, unless LilyPond vanishes from the web, which seems unlikely. It bothers me for "moral" reasons: I don't like the fact that domain owners can retroactively unpublish material from the Internet Archive using robots.txt, and this is one case where it can easily be fixed because the owner never wanted it taken down to begin with.