Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4059 in lilypond: Documentation for issues 360

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4059 in lilypond: Documentation for issues 3601 (based on 3581), 4042 (NR: "MIDI output", Section 3.5)
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 21:12:24 +0000

Comment #2 on issue 4059 by address@hidden: Documentation for issues 3601 (based on 3581), 4042 (NR: "MIDI output", Section 3.5)

I suppose I am disagreeing with this point in the rationale, so should say why.
" (Why place it [midiChannelMapping] before 3.5.2:)
  The MIDI channel mapping
  affects the behavior of all MIDI related context
  properties (probably most importantly, the MIDI
  instrument).  Assuming a basic understanding of the MIDI
  channel mappings before describing any of the MIDI related
  context properties will help in documenting them in a more
  concise way."

midiChannelMapping is only useful in combination with other MIDI settings if midiChannelMapping is 'staff (the default) or 'instrument. In these two cases, the behavior of the other MIDI settings is not changed, merely re-routed to the MIDI channels along with the notes on the same Staff.

The description of other MIDI settings actually becomes longer, not more concise, if the effect of non-default midiChannelMapping is described.

I only rarely and briefly have a basic understanding of midiChannelMappings, yet manage to use MIDI output during my periods of ignorance. Heikki, as I think will admit, had no understanding of midiChannelMappings when implementing the enhancements to MIDI output now being documented.