Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4127 in lilypond: Patch: Let \time in mid-meas

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4127 in lilypond: Patch: Let \time in mid-measure work without warning in some cases
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 07:30:40 +0000

Comment #20 on issue 4127 by address@hidden: Patch: Let \time in mid-measure work without warning in some cases

Strike my first impulse in comment #19: I was thinking of ossia staves particularly but they would need extra work on a perfect staff boundary too.

When using an extra context for maintaining timing data, it might be inconcenient to have to enter \partial into it whenever a voice may come in.

So I'd lean towards only warning for explicit time signatures which are identifiable when the upcoming TimeSignatureEvent is available. The disadvantage would be that you'd get no warnings at all for the timing coming from an extra track without its own time signature engraver, having to revert to barchecks instead.

This seems like a tolerable tradeoff. Whether the total effort for the warning is exaggerated is a different question, but when warning only about explicit time signatures one catches the cases where

a) the warning location is accurate
b) we are not likely talking about an artifact
c) the fix is obvious (\partial in the proper place) and may be necessary for more than just fixing the warning (like getting beaming patterns match the purported measure position depending on the placement of \partial)

We don't want to force the user to develop strategies for suppressing warnings. Warnings are supposed to be useful rather than a puzzle game.